Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Watching my Prince Swim through Shark Infested Waters

"Men are simple - not simpletons - but simple in their needs ... They need appreciation, approval and affection from their woman; and when they get that, they will swim through shark-infested waters to bring us lemonade."    Dr. Laura Schlessinger


Every time I hear this quote I can't help but to think of my amazing husband. 

Just tonight...We are laying on the couch watching "How I Met Your Mother"
He is in his pajamas...comfortable, relaxed, content.
I mention that I have been craving hot wings for a couple days
and he gets up puts on his shoes and brings me Wing Stop.

How did I get him? Honestly??
The thing is this is a normal occurrence for Josh. 
He is ALWAYS there to fulfill my every need...
not because I make him or ask him to, but because he genuinely WANTS to!

The fact that Josh would be more than willing to swim through shark infested waters for me is no secret.
Anyone who has been around us for more than 10 minutes can tell you that.

But it just made me wonder...
Do I give him the appreciation, approval and affection that he needs??
Sadly, the answer is probably...No.
Not on the level that he needs or deserves at least.

How did it happen that I found this prince that will swim through the waters even when I fail to meet those needs on a regular or consistent basis?

Don't get me wrong, I love my husband and try my hardest to meet his needs
but more often then not I find myself thinking about how
undeservingly blessed I am.

In the end...
Watching him lead our marriage and swim through those Shark Infested Waters 
only makes me want to do the same for him.
So I guess that you can say Josh is helping me to be a better person and a better wife!

I am so lucky. So blessed. So in love with my prince.







4 comments:

  1. Hi there! I'm visiting you from the hop on FTLOB and am now following you. I can never resist a brand new blog to read; it's always nice to meet new blog friends from all over the world!

    Two things: Congratulations on your new marriage and Welcome to the world of blogging! Your husband sounds like a total keeper, willing to slip out into the night clad in his PJ's, just to get you the hot wings you crave. :) That is the wonderful thing about marriage; you would walk to the ends of the earth for one another, for all things, big or small (hot wings, included). Enjoy your lives as newlyweds! :)

    I hope you continue blogging...it is a wonderful outlet and a great way to meet new people. :) And you're off to a great start with FTLOB (For the Love of Blogs)...they girls who run this site are ALL amazing; super supportive and just "good people". So give it a chance...and keep writing! :)

    Aloha,
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute post! Josh sounds like a keeper! And it's sounds like your marriage is off to a great start.

    Ok, so, since I'm old enough to be your mother (probably) here's my chance to give a little advice that I'm always telling my own kids and that I didn't learn until later in life. The two most important things for both of you to remember throughout your marriage: communication and respect. You must have those - always!

    But you know that, right? LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post SO MUCH!First of all, because amidst all the dirtbags you always hear about it is SO nice to read about a REAL man who treats his lady how she deserves! Also because my husband is the exact same way! And I always feel bad that he does so much for me but you know what? He does it because he loves doing it, not because he wants something in return! Hooray for great men!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Emily. I totally see the love you have for each other when you guys are around, especially the love Josh has for you. It's beautiful. I pray we can all find out prince and have a love just as beautiful.

    ReplyDelete