Saturday, January 18, 2014

To be held.

This is what it is to be held.
How it feels when the sacred is torn from your life
and you survive.
This is what it is to be loved,
and to know that the promise was when everything fell 
we'd be held. 
(("Held" Natalie Grant))

August 2013

This week Isla was sick. 
We were awaken in the middle of the night to find that she had thrown up all over her crib. 
This was the start of a long three days of sickness and heartache for our little one

This just so happened to have happened on a 72 
hour work week for Josh.
I was left to navigate my way through taking care of our little love on my own while my husband worked his butt off to provide for our family. ((i'm totally blessed by him.))

In the middle of one long night, Isla was in my bed. She was struggling to keep food down and had woken up several times with what sounded like cries for help. After half a night of this...she woke up with one of the saddest cries I have ever heard. 
She was hungry.
She was confused.
She was hurting.
MY heart was broken.

In a total loss of what to do for my sweet baby girl 
I picked her up in my arms and 
just held her.

For the most part, my little bug is NOT a cuddler by any means. Strong willed, independent, and curious...she has no time for snuggles! :) But when I picked her up in my arms and held her close to me she sunk herself right in. Her little head found it's way into the perfect spot on my shoulder. Her tiny arms wrapped around my neck.
She needed her momma.

I laid there, propped up on pillows, holding my sweet baby in my arms for about an hour while she slept. 
The whole time I could not help but think...
This is who God is.
This is how he loves us.
This is his promise to us.

He doesn't promise that when we live within his will that things will be easy or that we will never hurt. But, he promises that when the you-know-what hits the fan...
We'd  be held.

Matthew 11:28-30
"Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you, and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart; and you shall find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy, and My load is light."

It is so humbling when God speaks to me through my babygirl. I am constantly trying to figure things out on my own. Strong willed, independent...((I wonder where she gets it :) ))...
It is not in my nature to run to him.
I want to rest my head on his shoulder and wrap my arms around the neck of my Savior.
Join me as we find rest for our souls.
Run to him, and be held.





3 comments:

  1. This is so true Emily. We need a place and a person to flee to. God blessed us with our mother's when we're your young (and sometimes not so young) but ultimately it's His protective wing we hide under or His strong arms we retreat to when the world is hard and we need to rest. Beautiful thoughts. Hope your little bug is better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your beautiful thoughts during a very hard and troublesome time. Thank God He gave you Isla...and Isla you. God is the perfect gift giver and you both will understand that more and more as you share the years ahead. Love you and our bug.

    ReplyDelete